Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Vacation Bible School Guru

Growing up, my family did not attend church.  My brother and I went Vacation Bible School (VBS) at the itty-bitty First Baptist Church in our itty-bitty town and then we went to the BIG First Baptist Church VBS a few towns over.  My best friend went, so I went. :-)  I remember having icee's and store bought perfectly round cookies for snack.  Every single year, it was the same.  But look, I'm a grown adult and I still remember it!  I also know that in 4th grade it's when I said the sinner's prayer and gave my life to Christ for the first time.  There have been many MANY rededication of this chick's life to Christ, but that's for another post.

So now I'm a mom and every summer I seek out VBS' for Ethan to attend.  I am such an advocate for VBS because it was the only time I went to church as a kid until I was too old and then I started to volunteer and became more involved with our church which led me into going into the youth group.  Whew!  Last year Ethan was newly potty trained and had just turned three, so he only made it to 2 of the local VBS' and lasted through Wednesday.  But it was a start!  This year, we live where the pickin's are scarce.  There are a few churches offering VBS but they are churches we don't attend or at least our morals don't line up.  I have learned, kind of the hard way, that just because a church claims to be Christian, some pick and choose what parts of the Bible they want to follow and what parts they say are obsolete.  I'm just sayin'...

This week Ethan's just up north a few towns and at a First Alliance Church (which I had to really research on what they believe but they seem to be legit) and their VBS is THREE HOURS LONG.  Do you know how much time I can totally waste on the internet  use on cleaning the house?  Sweetness!  Plus it's free.  Can I get an AMEN?  I went and spent the day with him yesterday to break him in and make sure he was pretty well behaved.  Today, you're on your own kid.


Here I am in all of my stretch marked glory with Ethan in our VBS 2009 tshirts.
  I knew I was going to have Ernest SOON so we better get that 9 month picture taken.
Yes I'm tired and SO OVER being pregnant,
 why do you ask?

And here's who decided to arrive at 41 weeks and made me work
the entire VBS.  He came 24 hours before a scheduled induction.

No comments:

Post a Comment