Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Still sending letters

Dad passed away in 2007 and mom moved and got rid of their old email account.  However, I still write to that old email address.  It seems to still go through, nothing is sent back.  Usually, it's complaints and life chit chat.  It's "I wish this" "Wouldn't that be nice?" "Maybe some day" and so on and so forth.  I miss my family.  I miss feeling like I have a home.  I miss not having that "I can always go home" sense in life.  Growing up, dad always said, "No matter what happens or what has been done, you can always come home".  Wow, right?  Just wow.  That was definitely some of the parenting-to-do that I have in my mental file folder to say to my kids.  Always know you can come home.  It's hard now in life's circumstance to not have that open invitation.  To not be able to call my dad for advice.  To call mom twice a day and hear about the latest in home nurse care provider or how people have been visiting the house.  I miss my home.  It is in the front of my brain to have a childhood so pleasing that when my children and grown and gone that they look back and miss it.  My husband doesn't remember much of his childhood.  That, in of itself, is a whole other chapter in his life.  However, how can you not remember your childhood?  How can you not want to hear your parents voice and to check in?  Different upbringings and different cultures.


Remember that your kids grow up.  Remember that they will one day look back and think of you.  How do you want to be remembered?  I want them to tell their children of all the adventures 'grandma and I experienced'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment